There aren’t many kids who don’t enjoy the popular summer fruit, watermelon. Watermelon is super sweet, juicy, and can always bring out a little family friendly competition--seed spitting contest anyone?
Parents, feel good about serving watermelon because it’s high in vitamin C, A, and for those of you dealing with asthma symptoms, watermelon neutralizes free radicals which cause airways to close!
Summer Seed Spittin’ Salad
• 3 cups watermelon cut in bite size cubes
• 1/2 cup green bell pepper small diced
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1 tablespoon chopped chives
• 1/2 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper (optional, for adults, to add a little heat)
• 3 tablespoons fresh goat cheese crumbled
• Salt to taste
In a large bowl, mix the balsamic vinegar, chives and jalapeno pepper. In the same bowl, add the watermelon, goat cheese, and jalapeno and salt to taste. Gently mix all ingredients and then sprinkle the parsley on top before serving. If you make this recipe ahead of time, do not add the goat cheese or parsley until it is ready to serve. And, just before serving, strain the salad through a colander to get rid of excess moisture.