But first more on one of our favorite specialty tea companies. Spoiled here in SF, we enjoy tea shopping/tasting in Chinatown. It's quite an experience in person, but luckily, our favorite stop on the Grant St. tea train, Red Blossom Tea Company, has an online store! Favorites from Red Blossom include their Silver Needle (white tea), Jasmine Pearls, and Peppermint Rose (herbal tea).
Come to think of it, teas like these would make great Valentine's gifts for even a casual tea drinker. There's still plenty of time to drop hints for (or be forthright with) your sweetheart! Teas make for a much healthier, feel-good gift than a box of candy!
Beyond our favorite teas on the market, we love to experiment with our own tea blends. :)
A simple blend of chamomile and lavender is a perfectly soothing herbal tea:
Chamomile Lavender Tea
- 1 teaspoon chamomile flowers
- 1/2 teaspoon lavender flowers
- Steep: in 8 oz boiling hot water for 5 minutes.
Our current favorite is a blend of citrus and herb aromas and is quite invigorating for an herbal tea! It's perfect for a full-flavored, no calorie, caffeine-free, afternoon pick-me-up. Here's our working recipe:
Lemon Herb Tea
- 4 tablespoons lemon verbena
- 2 tablespoon lemon thyme (or 1 teaspoon thyme leaves and 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest)
- 1 tablespoon lavender
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 1 tablespoon rose hips
- 1 teaspoon licorice root
- 2 dried apricots, chopped (optional)
- Mix gently but thoroughly and store in an airtight container in a dark place.
- Steep: 1 tablespoon in 8 oz boiling hot water for 5 minutes.
Note: If you're pregnant, you may want to avoid certain ingredients in your tea. Here's a post on Herbal Teas During Pregnancy from babycenter.com. Definitely consult your doctor with questions.