Serving up veggies in all of our products!

Friday, May 3, 2013

Fort FRYday!

Happy FRYDAY!  In celebration of Spring, the end of the week and our fat-free veggie fries being available in military commissaries, we're calling today a FORT FRYDAY!  

This week we're celebrating the woman behind        www.worldtravelingmilitaryfamily.com, Laurie Hebb.  She's a mother of three and military wife of a deployed husband.  So join us in saying thank you to Laurie and her family for all that they've done for our country.



More from this week's hometown hero, Laurie:

What branch of the military is your spouse in?
"The United States Air Force."

How long have you been a military wife/ husband?
"I have been a military wife for 14 years." 

Do you have kids? If so, what are their names and ages?
"We have 3 amazing kids.  Two boys 16 and 12 years old and a girl who is 9 years old."

Why did you start your blog and what is it about?
"I started my blog in 2008 because I was frustrated with the lack of information on the Internet in regards to traveling all over Iceland, Japan, and Europe.  Sure there was information about how to get to xyz or what to see, but not tried and true stories and pictures of people's adventures.  I'm a huge planner and researcher so this was really what I considered a huge need for the blog world, I wanted the ins and outs, the do's and do not's from other families who had done it before us.  So I started the blog so that it could be used as a resource for traveling with a family overseas, information on PCSing, experiencing different cultures, and just a general glimpse into the life of a military family. It's so rewarding knowing that other families can have access to the information from our tried and true trips and I look forward to posting about our adventures in Italy starting this summer!"

Do you or have you lived on base? Which one?
"We live on base and we love it. We tried living off base when we moved back here, (yes, back...it's our 2nd time here) and it just wasn't what was best for our family.  So as things go with the military I ended up doing a DITY (Do It Yourself) move after my husband deployed last time." 

What is the best thing about base life?
"I love that my husband's work is literally a 1 minute drive away so that he could come home for lunch, at least he did before he deployed.  It's also great that the kids are able to go out and play with their friends and I don't have to worry about them.  I also am thankful that the younger two kids get to attend the DODs school, the public schools in our area are not very good.  While we prefer living on base and have lived the 'Americanized' version of living overseas but still in the comfort of base housing, we'll be having a huge change soon.  We are PCSing to Italy this summer and there is NO base housing, excited but preparing myself for the challenges to come."

What is your favorite food to prepare for your family?
"Crockpot meals, you know the kind you throw in the morning and walk away and viola at dinner time you open the lid and serve the family :)  I've even found you can pre-make some of the meals and freeze them, then dump into crockpot when needed!  I use it at least 2 times a week and it makes my life SO much easier!" 

You are on a deserted island and can only bring one thing...Go!
"A Bible."

Is Military wife life what you thought it would be?
"No, its not.  Funny thing is that I remember swearing I'd never marry a military guy...and look here I am 14 years later happier than ever and LOVING our military life.  Being a military wife has been way better than I ever expected!  I love getting to move every 3-4 years and traveling the world.  I love making new friends, even though leaving them is hard. I love that being a military wife forces me to step outside my comfort zone, almost daily, I'm not the same person I was 14 years ago and I so thankful for how being a military wife has helped me to grow.  Yes, there are challenges but I haven't found one yet that we couldn't get through, including most recently a 15 month deployment."

No comments:

Post a Comment