When we think of summer, it's hard not to picture cook-outs, swimming pools, ice-cold lemonade and sleep-outs under the stars! Don't let bug bites interfere with your family fun! Here are a few of our favorite home remedies to prevent and cure those itchy bites.
Insect Bite Prevention
- Natural repellents
- Citronella candles
- Calendula, cedar, eucalyptus, and/or tea tree. In oils, diffusers, sprays or lotions
- Edible prevention
- eat foods rich in Thiamin (Vitamin B1) like fish, brown rice, molasses and wheat germ before spending time outside to avoid mosquito bites.
- eating refined sugar which gives off a sweet smell on the skin that attracts mosquitos
- wearing perfume, hairspray or other scented cosmetics
- wash the area with soap and water then apply a paste made of baking soda and water
- rub a cut onion on an insect bite for a powerful antioxidant treatment